Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Chat with the Captain: Team Europe

Though he is extremely busy right now, we were recently able to steal a few minutes from the captain of Team Europa, Captain Brian.

You’re the only Captain that the Europeans have ever known. What does the Kiva Cup mean to you personally?
It means a great deal. Representing my continent is a great honor for me and my family. Having the Kiva Cup placed upon my mantle for so long has been a source of pride and a great tool to teach my son to beat people down no matter how sorry your feel for them.

What is your favorite Kiva Cup memory?
The comeback Hawk and I had against Chris and Jim several years ago. We were getting killed on the front. Hawk yelled at me (I deserved it) on number 9 but we got it together on the back 9.

2008 looks to be a repeat of 2007, 2006, and 2005. The Europeans are playing incredibly well right now, while several members of Team USA seem to have quit the game. Do the Europeans ever wish the competition were better?
I would like to see Team USA come in with some swagger and confidence. It makes the buildup for The Kiva Cup fun. Some members of Team USA do have confidence but there are very outspoken members of Team USA that do not.

How will the Europeans celebrate a 4th straight victory?
If we are fortunate enough to win it will be low key. We take pride in being a classy team.

Any new faces on this year’s European team?
There is one new face. A man by the name of Boogie.

Do you have any changes in mind for future Kiva Cups? Possibly a change of venue or format changes for one of the rounds?
No.

What Team USA pairing gives you the most trouble?
Skibo and Great are a good team. Jim and Skibo are also a good team.

In Cup play, what effects you more, who you’re playing against or who you’re playing with?
Neither. I get mentally ready for both and prepare differently depending on who I am playing and who I am playing with. I take a lot of pride in being a good partner. My teammates are very different in their approaches to the game and I tailor my comments and demeanor accordingly.

How do you, as a Captain, promote team unity?
That has never really been a problem. Nobody on our team gets into disputes except for Hawk and Dalton a couple years ago.

What are the bedding arrangements at ‘Casa B by the Sea’ for this year’s Cup?
Not sure yet.

Thank you for your time.
Snog off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent interview Jammy. Its no wonder the Europeans are as successful as they are with such a classy and together captain.