Monday, August 30, 2010

A Victory Lap with Captain Hartsell

I met longtime Team USA Captain James H. “Jim” Hartsell recently in one of his favorite downtown Birmingham hangouts, George Sarris’ The Fish Market, to discuss a wide variety of topics, including his plans for defending and retaining the Kiva Cup Trophy, JoePa and the current state of the game of golf.

Jim, how did it feel to win finally win the Kiva Cup?

Captain Hartsell teeing off on his favorite course,
Machrihanish GC in Kintyre, Scotland.
Well, Jammy, I tell you what, it was the highlight of my golfing career, even better than finishing 2nd to Shay Shellnut in the 1982 Junior Club Championship at Cumberland Lake GC. Shooting 78 at The Old Course at St. Andrews pales in comparison to winning the Kiva Cup. I was so overcome with emotion when Vice-Captain Skiba clinched the matches and the Cup on 17, that it’s just hard to describe in words. I even forgot we still had a player battling for his life in an ongoing match. I’d like to tell JROD, if he’s out there, that I am proud of the way he battled in the Cup last year. Even though later that evening I unfortunately had to rescind his battlefield promotion to Full Member of Team USA…..but I digress.

Any change in preparation this year?

Not really. We will be doing what we have always done. Watching football, cutting the grass, going to weddings …the usual things. I may ask the guys to read a Golf Digest or something.

How do you keep your team hungry?

It’s tough. It’s hard to keep the boys focused with so many outside distractions. Since you mentioned hunger, our team is known as the more “blue collar” or “common man” team. We are happy to eat most meals at Tacky Jacks II. The Euros are a little more elitist., eating at Cobalt or The Beach Club and the like.

Speaking of, I hear you had a nice backyard garden this year. Did you grow any peppers?

Where are you from, Nick Jr.? Yes I grew peppers. SIX different kinds of peppers. Do you understand? SIX different kinds. All spicy. Burn your throat.

I need some whole milk just listening to you. Anyhoo, Team USA and Alabama are in similar situations at this moment, both looking to avoid a letdown after great 2009 campaigns, do you consider yourself the Nick Saban of the Kiva Cup?

Well, yes I am a huge disciple of Coach Saban. When I agreed to take this job 7 years ago, I made it clear that this was a process and it would take at least 5 years for us to be in a position to do the things we would need to do to win. Now that we are clearly on top, we will have a bulls eye on our back in every single match.



You are also known as an avid supporter of the Crimson Tide. What is your biggest concern for Bama heading into this season?

I have 2 actually. JoePa and Mario Fannin.

How are you playing?

Awful. I hope to be a home course 22 by October. I am thinking Boogie wouldn’t care much for that. My game is inconsistent. I might shoot a nice little 82 (net 65) and come back the next week on the same course and shoot 97 (net 80) I’m not that worried about it. Kiva always brings out the best in my game.

How much hatred and underhandedness do you expect from the Europeans, who did not like losing?

Not too much. The Hawk boys are True Gentlemen of the game. True Hawk, I admit, does not care to lose to a 17 handicap, but he’s fine about an hour or so after the match. Luke Evans is just hard-noised. However, you’ve always got Brian to contend with …and well you’ve got Huguley, who is underhanded without even realizing it.

You mentioned the legendary R. Dalton Huguley. He is rejoining Team Europe after a one year absence due to a piano recital. What are your thoughts on this?

Well, it’s a challenge for our boys. We just have to adjust. Last year, you could play a match with True Hawk and Sean and if you blinked, the front nine was over. Team USA generally likes, how should I put this, an expeditious style of play. Huguley, a fine gentleman of the game, is somewhat more….deliberate. Having said that, I welcome him back to Cup play. Just a fine man, solid, salt of the earth.

Chris is back on the team after a one year sabbatical. Do you…

Just stop right there Jammy. You aren’t drawing me into anything. I just want to have a good time, eat some shrimp and take a couple of early morning runs on Fort Morgan Road.…maybe smoke a cigar with Brian. The Kiva Cup is supposed to be fun.

But you have to think….

Just shut the hell up.

But where are y’all staying?

Shut. The. Hell. Up!

Well, alright then. Thanks, Jim. See you in October.

4 comments:

Colin Montgomerie said...

I go for Team USA.

Martin Laird said...

Captain Jim is more of a Scot than I.

Padraig Harrington said...

If the winds are whipping at Kiva, pare will be a good scare, I assure you.

Katie Burnett said...

Brian cannot stop talking about how good Team USA is.