Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Cup of Chatter with Mark

Hello Mark. Thanks for sitting down with us today.
This is so ghey. So very, very ghey.


Well, just play along.
I hope no one outside of our teams is looking at this. I really hope that NO ONE is looking at this, but I bet Timmy with the Gatorhead Mailbox hits the site a dozen times a day. This is so ghey.


Anything new in your bag?
Since the DD Cup I have gone to a new putter (again). It’s a Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (RICH). I also finally replaced my trusty 60 degree Lynx Lob wedge. I’ve had it since high school but it’s been beaten so bad that it was time to retire it. I’ve replaced it with a Cleveland CG12.

How have you been preparing for Kiva?
In conjunction with the aforementioned club changes, I’ve been focusing on the short game more than ever. I reached the point of no return when it comes to scoring. It gets really old hitting the ball 300 yards down the middle and making bogey. I’ve been consulting Stan Utley. Any time you make changes it takes some time to adjust. We’ll see if there is any on course improvement but at this point it can’t get any worse.

Do you have concerns that Team USA will not be competitive again this year?
Well James, can I call you James? I’m glad you asked this question as it’s been weighing on me. We seem to have more than just one opponent to beat every year. Obviously there’s the Euros we have to face on the course, but then there is the inner battle and turmoil that we face within Team USA. I don’t feel comfortable saying anything more at this time, but something needs to change or we are never going to be competitive.



NOTE: The question and answer above are hereinafter referred to as #3.


Though playing for the Europeans, the majority of Team Euro’s players graduated from Berry High School. Is there any ancient conflict that might arise at Kiva?
No, I don’t believe so. At this point in our careers the blood of our country is thicker than the blood of our high schools.

Welllll, you don't know from Tarrant then!
I swear I'll get up and leave if you make one more ghey comment like that.

Apologies. You’ve been the bellcow for Team USA since its inception. How do you handle that pressure?
I don’t know about bellcow. I just go out and play each hole of the golf course. I never think about pressure. It just doesn’t enter my mind. I have a personal goal of what I want to accomplish on each hole. If my opponent beats me on a hole or a match it usually means I haven’t met my own goal and deserve to lose.

Your name has been bantered about as a future captain of Team USA. Are you interested in that role?
If my country asks me to serve in that position it would be an honor. But that’s not of my concern right now (see #3).

For the sake of argument, imagine that you are the captain of Team USA. Europe throws out the pairing of Brian and Dalton. How do you counter?
Well, that is certainly a formidable pairing and would be a tough match no matter who we put up against them. I won’t reveal any team strategy at this point but we would find a pairing that would put up a good fight.

There was an incident at the Make a Few Bets/Double Down Cup this past May that has caused some tension on Team USA. What’s your position, and do you see this being resolved before Kiva Dunes?
I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to but if it’s anything to do with #3 then I have no further comment.

What does Team USA have to do to be competitive this year?
See #3.

Winning the Kiva Cup, or seeing Matthew Stafford (clad in black) and Holly Rowe sandwiched between the entire Auburn defense and David Housel. Which would you prefer?
I don’t much like seeing Holly Rowe at any time so I will go with winning the Kiva Cup. Not to mention what winning the Cup would mean to my mentor and Captain, Jim . Definitely winning the Cup.

Anything else?
See #3.

Thanks for your time, Mark.
Y'all didn't put a rainbow sticker on my car while I was in here, did you?

I wish that we had thought to, but no we did not.

No comments: